[Seaside] What do you use seaside for?

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Wed Aug 6 00:15:18 CEST 2003

Just wondering what people are using Seaside for. Is it more of an
experiment right now or are people using it to develop Web sites?  Also,
what types of things does one use Seaside for?

I'm working on two Web projects now and I'm looking around for various
things that may make it easier.

One project is for a group I'm in that just wants to post various news
bits up from time to time, minutes to meetings, agendas, and a few other
simple things that should be updatable by various people in the group.
Something like Plone, Xaraya, or PostNuke might be overkill for this
(and aren't really aimed at meetings, status of resolutions, committee
reports, etc.), so I was thinking of hobbling something together.  I'm
not sure how well Seaside would work for a CMS-type system, though,
since pages cannot be bookmarked, which also probably means they can't
be indexed by search engines.  Is Seaside the wrong thing for this kind
of application?  I noticed that Gardner is kind of a CMS-like Seaside
app., but looking at www.tric.nl I wonder what Google, for example,
could do with it (I suspect not much).

The other project I'm researching is a Web shopping cart.  I don't think
I'm ready to write my own, but looking at existing projects, I'm
wondering if it would even be possible, long-term, to do something like
this in Seaside.  I'm not sure ... The inability to e-mail someone a URL
for an item that you find interesting seems to be problematic (and the
search engine thing is also problematic).

So ... what would be a better use of Seaside? Is there a way around the
session-in-URL problem?

Also, I'm just curious what interesting things have people been doing
with Seaside? There seem to be a lot of people on this list, so I'm sure
there's some cool stuff out there! I'm just not sure what it is since I
couldn't find examples on the Web site, and only a couple on the Swiki.

Thanks!

Jen