[Seaside] Seaside Design Questions

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Fri Dec 5 05:58:46 CET 2003

Avi Bryant (avi at beta4.com) wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2003, at 7:20 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:
>
> >In the course of porting Seaside to Ruby, I've come across many things
> >didn't understand.  After beating my head against the wall, walking
> >away, and coming back I figured out how they worked/why they were
> >there.
> >But that still didn't clue me into a few things...
>
> You know, you could have just sent me an email.... ;)

Its much more fun, and there was more than enough stuff to explore.  :)

Overall, the port was very easy, understanding all the Whys is a little
trickier.

> >Same for WASession and WAControllerSession, since start seems to be the
> >only abstract method in WASession.  Is there some extra hooks that can
> >be added by not subclassing from WAControllerSession?
>
> It's about layering - WASession doesn't know anything about Controller.
>  WAControllerSession does.  In theory, you could rip out Controller and
> everything that depends on it, and still have a decent
> continuation-based session framework.
>
> Below that, you could rip out WASession and still have a decent
> request/response servlet system.

I see a similar thing with WADispatcher, it doesn't seem to be difficult
to build a load balancer out of it...

> It's actually nice to have someone go through and question this stuff -
> it keeps me honest.  If there's ever any element of the design that
> someone doesn't understand, please ask.  The worst case is that I'll
> explain it, thus adding to the store of documentation, and the best
> case is that we'll realize that the design sucks and be able to improve
> it.

There might be a few other minor leftovers, the only other one that
comes to mind is the lastSnapshot instance variable for WAStateRegistry.
I think there were a couple of other unused instance variables scattered
about other classes.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain at segment7.net - http://segment7.net
All messages signed with fingerprint: