[Seaside] Hopelessly stupid newbie question

Randy Siler rsiler at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 24 15:34:27 CET 2003

I need to write a simple web application that at the very least
collects data from a web form.
Of course I'd love to use Squeak and I see many technologies in Squeak
that appear more than adequate for my needs.

I've worked through tutorial and chapters in books and tried adapting
what I find to what I need,
but when I try to do what I want to do, I find I get lost before I get
it done, probably because I want to do something simpler or different
from the tutorials.

I had thought that Seaside was the way to go and worked through it
before starting out to build my simple little form processor. I build
my form in a WYSIWYG editor and got to the point of specifying the form
action. When I tried to divine from seaside examples I started to get
the sense that maybe I had misconceptualized  seaside as being suited
to functioning as a simple form cgi that would allow me to easily get
the form data from a web form. Specifically, the form actions specified
in the seaside examples always contain those numbers (I forget what you
call them) that I couldn't imagine supplying (which makes me think that
in seaside you don't do it like I was thinking--make a form in an
editor). (Do you always dynamically generate the forms from seaside?)

Am I right about this? Should I be using something else if I just want
a simple form cgi in Squeak?

Or can I use seaside in a much simpler albeit less powerful way until I
get my feet wet?

Very much appreciate any insight

Randy