[Seaside] stupid newbie questions: config to get started

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue May 20 12:19:03 CEST 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Tim Mansfield wrote:

> I've been trying to get started with Seaside, but I keep getting stymied on
> where to find things. The web seems littered with old references to extinct
> versions of comanche in particular, but a few old tutorials on Seaside that
> point to odd places. Is this because ownership of the code has moved from
> person to person or something or are things just so active that it's hard
> to keep everything consistent?

The webpages at http://beta4.com/seaside2 are fairly consistent, they're
just a little bit old: the 2.21 release, which is what they talk about,
was at least a coupla months ago, and a new release is badly needed,
particularly since there have been a couple of releases of Squeak and
Comanche in the meantime.

Ironically, the main thing holding up the 2.3 release is my sense that
there oughta be more and better documentation first.  More on this in my
next email.

> But when I tried
>
> WAKom startOn: 9090
>
> it didn't seem to work, or at least my browser couldn't open
> http://localhost:9090
>
> What am I doing wrong? Any guidance gratefully appreciated.

I would recommend going through the tutorial at
http://beta4.com/seaside2/tutorial.html, including installing an old
Comanche version, and see if you still have problems.

> Since I'm in that phase where I'm running into lots of pages that seem old,
> would it be useful if I collected references to them and passed them on to
> someone or tried to fix them?

Sure, go ahead.  I suspect that a lot of the old/broken pages are on the
Wiki, so please go ahead and fix em.  Generally, if you're having problems
or running into things that are confusing, we'd sure like to know.