[Seaside] Gardner, SmallWiki, Swiki, or?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Nov 19 08:41:02 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 23:28, Stephen Pair wrote:
> That's how I would lean...though I really wish the SmallWiki on
> SqueakMap was in Monticello format (pester Chris about that).  I
> wouldn't rule out Gardner though...down the road it may have some
> advantages being built on top of Seaside (and plugging in the newer
> parser is pretty trivial work).

The whole reason I did Gardner in the first place was that SmallWiki
came with Yet Another Web Serving Framework, and my feeling is that
we've got enough of that in Squeak. So I picked the good stuff (the
parser etcetera) and forgot about the rest.

Also, SmallWiki, even though it is called 'Wiki', has higher aspirations
- AFAIK it aims more at Zope. I have installed SmallWiki last summer
under VW at Soops, and although we used it (mostly by default -
WikiWorks sucks and there's nothing else) we didn't really like this
File/Folder stuff in a Wiki.

Gardner's UI is lacking indeed, but it comes with a nice example of how
you could customize it (www.tric.nl) :-). That was a design decision,
too - rather present no UI so people can extend it than present some
default UI you first have to take apart before adapting it to your own
taste.