[Seaside] Remote Development with Squeak/Seaside

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Thu Dec 9 20:20:28 CET 2004

Hi Jimmie

> Do most of the Seaside developers have regular physical access to the
> machines they develop and deploy including after deployment?

I can't speak for all people of course, but in my experience - our
company has currently about five productive Seaside apps running - you
do not want to do anything more than loading new code in the deployed
images. Or else, it is an emergency you have to try to track down a bug
you can't reproduce or something. Doing any coding in the productive
app is just too risky. We develop always on our local images, test it
and then publish to our Monticello repository. The only thing we then
do is loading the new version in the deployed app. Of course, sometimes
you have to take care because, for example, loading a new version which
adds instance variables to a Seaside component can cause problems for
running sessions. What might also be an issue is if you have changes in
your database schema or domain model and thus have to do
transformations.

> Is VNC the predominant means of developing remotely?

yes, we use VNC, and it was reasonably fast in my experience.

> How well or much can you do with the Seaside browser (inside the web
> browser)?
> ie: how practical?  not fixing or minor development, but full
> development.

my opinion is that this browser is nice for demos, but... well, I have
never used it to do anything else.

> How close or ready is LiveWeb?
>
> Just wanting to keep the discussion alive and learn how active
> Squeak/Seaside developers handle development on a remote deployed
> machine.

does anybody really develop on a deployed app? I can't imagine.

Cheers,
Adrian