[Seaside] Help with converting Gardner

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Dec 17 23:34:35 CET 2004

Hi,

I just thought in a couple of spare hours to lift Gardner up to current
Seaside. However (as usual when I don't track Seaside for longer than a
month or so ;-}), things seem to have changed inside Seaside so my Gardner
is way out of date :(

(If you want to take a peek, Gardner and Janus (the search engine face
which should sit 'below' Gardner) are on SqueakSource)

The first two methods - the entrypoints - I looked at disappeared from
Seaside, it seems:

Gardner has a whole load of stuff in GWSession which subclasses
JanusSession which subclasses WASession, but it seems that WASession
subclassing is not en vogue anymore. Most important method there is
GWSession>>createRootFromRequest, which finds the Wiki based on the URL
passed, sets up the GWViewer (WAComponent), and hands the viewer its model
(the front page of the Wiki OR the page indicated in the URL). What's the
cleanest way these days to start something up, and especially do the URL
interpretation?

Janus has JanusSession to be able to do a special version of #addToPath:
in JanusSession>>#addToPath:staticContents:. I'll probably have to redo
comms between Gardner (or any Seaside app that wants to export 'static'
pages for search engines...) and Janus, but I can live with that, it's
only one method and as soon as Gardner works again I'll be able to fix
that just fine.

Thanks for any help - I'd really like to put out a version of
Gardner+Janus that actually works on SqueakSource.

And in the meantime I'll probably hack away at Terminus, which should be a
two-hour job (yeah, sure...). No, I'm not going to tell what it is (yet).