[Seaside] How to

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Jan 7 13:48:06 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 04:46, Raymond Asselin wrote:
> - How to expand the width of a field. Say I have a field for an adress on my Seaside¹ web page,
> how can I change the current width of that field ?

In the absence of specific methods in the html builder, you can always
use:

html
    attributeAt: 'width' put: '20;
    textInputWithValue: ...

> - Suppose I split the page on 2 pane using a css. Say pane1 and pane2 . So I link the pane1 to a
> component, pane2 to another .  If pane1 is used by component11 which call component22, and
> component22 call component33 --now I am at the component33 level -- how can I access instance
> variable of the component11 ?  I also want that when the component33 task is over all component
> unroll until component11.

If your components want to chat to each other, they'll have to pass
references around:

callComponent22
	self call: (Component22 new parent: self)

or whatever. Think whether you really want to do this; for example, if
Component22 is about updating an address, you are better of using:

callComponent22
    address := self call: (Component22 new on: address)

because in that way, you can reuse Component22 in other places.

(until now I only have one exception, the 'main' component, which you
want to have accessible often. See for example the SqueakPeople code
which keeps the main component around in the session -
http://tai42.xs4all.nl/~cg/mc/sqp)