[Seaside] Testing seaside components (second try)

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Sat Jul 3 21:14:40 CEST 2004

I spent a little time on the code that I posted previously and have
attached a version with a few improvements:
    - most HTML input components are now supported (radio, checkbox,
text, password, textarea)
    - a web-based test runner was added
        + if a component answers a non-nil #suite then its halo will
show a test button...the "tile" halo button -- sorry :-(   -- could
someone draw a better one for me?
        + if an application answers a non-nil #suite then it will have a
test link in the config app
        + a default implementation of WAComponent>>suite is provided
which appends 'Test' to the class name and if said class exists, returns
it as a test suite
    - several tests were written based off the the WAAllTests and other
components provided

I still need to write more tests based on the the components provided
with Seaside.  I also need to check if my code works in 2.5a6. The
web-based test runner interface may not be the best idea since tests may
take too long to complete (depending on your browser's timeout).  I
could for a periodic client refresh but I'm not sure if it is worth the
trouble.  Finally if anyone has any interest it porting this to VW, I'd
like to help.  I tried but I encountered two problems: namespace (easy
to solve with text editor) and XML library differences.

While this is still rough, I'm starting to feel that many parts of it
are working reasonably well.  If anyone is using or starts using this,
I'd appreciate feedback.  And yes, I'll write up a tutorial on how to
use it but, as always, the example code should be a good start...look at
SCSampleComponentTest and WAAllTestsTest.

David