[Seaside] CSS/JS libs

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Jun 22 22:16:51 CEST 2004

On Jun 22, 2004, at 1:06 PM, Colin Putney wrote:

> I's not a problem conceptually - many many site are designed this way.
> It's probably good to further separate CSS from html generation. Also,
> it seems like this ought to make it easier to make skinnable apps -
> per session css libraries rather than per application.

You could do that.  Or you could just have all the themes in the
library, each scoped by a different css class, and a class attribute on
the body that chose the theme.

> However, I wonder about halos. This means we won't be able to
> manipulate the style-sheets via halos any more, right?

Well, for one thing, I (think I) intend to keep the #style method on
Component around cause it's so nicely simple.  But I also intend to
have an editor for the libraries accessible from the halos.  The trick
is using the context information from the halo in useful ways - for
example, bringing the system browser up from the halo preselects the
class of the component the halo was on.  Figuring out which style(s) to
preselect would be harder, but I'd like to find some way to do it.

> Any reason you decided to associate libraries with applications rather
> than individual components?

Yes.  It's quite possible that a given component wouldn't know all the
libraries which had styles that would apply to it.  If you introduce a
set of stylesheets that define a whole new look for a set of
components, the original components won't (and shouldn't) have to know
about it.

Avi