[Seaside] Re: Latin-1 for SeaSide: howto?

Samuel Tardieu sam at rfc1149.net
Tue Mar 30 18:37:35 CEST 2004

>>>>> "Lukas" == Lukas Renggli <renggli at student.unibe.ch> writes:

Lukas> I don't think this conversation is needed at all. In all our
Lukas> web-applications we are working with ISO-8859-1 string, we
Lukas> manipulate them, store and read them from PostgreSQL and send
Lukas> them back to the web-browser. This had never been a problem. At
Lukas> a few places, especially where we have german-umlauts in
Lukas> Strings within Squeak, we convert manually to an iso-encoding.

Sure: PostgreSQL does latin-1 and HTTP does latin-1. My concern is
about data which is both manipulated in Squeak (using Morphic) and a
WWW interface.

I have developed yesterday and this morning a program to manipulate
students data and the projects they are working on, using SeaSide. The
development went like a charm. However, I need to manipulate students
names such as "Sébastien" in Squeak (I have a StudentInfoMorph to
display students data) and through the WWW interface. I do not like
putting "isoToSqueak" and "squeakToIso" everywhere.

Lukas> This is probably not even reasonable at all, because the data
Lukas> received as well as the data sent might have a different
Lukas> encoding than ISO-8859-1 only known to client and server.

As far as I can see, SeaSide sends no charset encoding to the client:

  200 OK
  Connection: close