[Seaside] My first Seaside app(s) - Allowance and AllowanceAdmin

Jason Dufair jase at purdue.edu
Tue May 4 19:41:47 CEST 2004

Folks -

Just wanted to show off my first Seaside app - it's an allowance tracker
for my kids (since I can't remember to update their balance every Sunday
night).  It holds zero or more Piggybank objects and each Piggybank has
a balance, badChoiceDebit, bonusAmount, allowanceAmount, earnFrequency,
and nextEarnTimestamp.  You can "activate" the Piggybank at which point
it will begin earning allowance at the earnFrequency rate starting at
the nextEarnTimestamp.  badChoiceDebit and bonusAmount are used for
bad/good behavior and only apply to the next earning point after which
they are reset to 0.

It's pretty ugly - I need to get my CSS mojo up to speed.  I understand
CSS as a technology, but have no idea how to use it to make things look
good.  I'll probably do some CSS Zen Gardening over the next few days.

If you want to try it out, you'll want to start by adding a kid
(i.e. PiggybankOwner) in the admin app (that the parents would
presumably run) which is at
http://tunewheel.dyndns.org:9090/seaside/AllowanceAdmin You can use this
to set the various instance vars for each Piggybank, start/stop the
earning process, etc.

You can see the kids' version of the app at
http://tunewheel.dyndns.org:9090/seaside/Allowance (which only allows
you to see your balance and add good/bad choice credits/debits for
good/bad behavior) ;-)

The username/password for each of these is "seaside/is2great".  I'll
keep this test version up for a few days at least.

I did make one small change to WAMiniCalendar and one to Week (both bug
fixes, IMHO).  I've posted to the squeak-dev list asking the best way to
submit changes to Week.  What's the best way to submit Seaside changes
for WAMiniCalendar?

My Piggybank data just lives in the image right now in a class-side
dictionary on Piggybank itself.  Next I'm going to fiddle with getting
into an OODBMS or an RDBMS.  Not that my tiny amount of data needs to be
externalized, but I figure I'd better be ready with some DBMS interface
knowledge when Seaside takes over the world.  I'm sure there are a
million possibilities, but if anyone has a recommendation for the DB
interface that will be likely to be used with Seaside when it takes over
the world, I'm all ears.

If anyone thinks they might like to have/use this tiny little app, I
could probably figure out a way to get it into SqueakMap.  Or I can get
you a change set.  I need to reorganize categories.  Let me know.

Using Seaside is a real treat.  The sushi store was very helpful as an
example.  I also want to figure out how to use WANavigationBar instead
of having rolled my own.

--
Jason Dufair
Office of the VP for Information Technology
jase at purdue.edu
765-496-1185 - fax: 765-496-7409