[Seaside] GOODS best practice data storage

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed May 19 20:14:38 CEST 2004

On May 19, 2004, at 7:56 AM, Sebastián Sastre wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> 	I want to add a question to Larry's one. It's about best
> practice with several objects, lets say 13000 intrincated objects.
>
> 	Making this with 13000 intrincated items...
>
> 	(db root at:#items) addAll: allItems.
> 	db commit.
>
> 	...the commit delay is too long to be useful.

Committing 13000 objects at once is definitely going to be slow.  If
you have a use case where you need to be committing thousands of
objects on a regular basis, then I don't know what to tell you (except
to make sure that you're using a recent version of my GOODS client;
this was sped up a lot a few versions ago, but still not enough that
you'd want to be doing it during interactive use).  I bet we can speed
it up by 2 or 3x through profiling, but I doubt we can do much more
than that.

> 	1)  How can I make a better use of GOODS? and
>
> 	2) How can I tune it or index it?

These are hard questions to answer in the abstract.  What are your
actual needs?  What are you trying to accomplish?

Avi