[Seaside] REST and Seaside

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Sat Apr 9 22:20:34 CEST 2005

Avi Bryant wrote:

>On Apr 9, 2005 4:13 PM, Nevin Pratt <nevin at bountifulbaby.com> wrote:
>

>>Anyway, I just (temporarily) put the usage stats of machine #2 at:
>>   http://www.bountifulbaby.net/stats
>>

>Ok, thanks.  If we believe the "visits" figure, you're getting a
>little under 200 users a day, so I'd be surprised if there were ever
>more than 100 concurrent sessions even given pretty long timeouts.

As Yanni pointed out, those "visits" figures probably aren't reliable
due to caching.

So, I went to my ISP, Xmission, and grabbed some stats from them.
Here's the last 7 days:

*Current Week Usage*

Date

Download

Free DL

Upload

Free UL

Monday

33 MB

1 MB

199 MB

0 MB

Tuesday

28 MB

0 MB

111 MB

0 MB

Wednesday

40 MB

1 MB

206 MB

0 MB

Thursday

147 MB

1 MB

5162 MB

0 MB

Friday

120 MB

0 MB

4896 MB

0 MB

Today

20 MB

0 MB

378 MB

0 MB

Week to Date

388 MB

3 MB

10952 MB

1 MB

<https://stats.xmission.com/dsl/?user=bountifulbaby&pass=YW9wamFwMQ==&time=today>
<https://stats.xmission.com/dsl/?user=bountifulbaby&pass=YW9wamFwMQ==&time=longterm>

And here's another graph:

Obvously something big happened Thursday and Friday-- and this coincides
with the latest observed problems.

>I'm used to seeing about 1MB per session, so you're an order of
>magnitude higher than I'd expect.  I wonder why your application is so
>especially memory hungry?
>
>You're using GLORP, right?  Could that be involved?

I don't think GLORP is a facter here.  My use of GLORP is *very* minimal.

>In one of your massive saved images, it would be interesting to see
>how many instances of WASession were actually around.

I'm not inclined to re-launch my biggest images, because they are on the
production machine right now.  And, I'm not too hip on trying to
download a 1 gig image down to my dev machine.  But, I *did* look at the
number of sessions that were around, and if I remember correctly, it was
about 1500 of them.

I might have gotten hit with a DOS attack or something on Thursday and
Friday, I don't know.  The traffic numbers certainly would seem to
support that possibility.

Nevin