[Seaside] Some questions about Seaside architecture

Ramon Leon rleon at insario.com
Tue Dec 13 17:58:38 CET 2005

> I don't agree with You. I don't want to start philosophical
> discussion
> whether rich UI should have back button (my opinion is NO,
> Your opinion
> is clearly YES). But there ARE very clean ways to forbid back button.

Cees is correct, it doesn't matter what your opinion of the back button
is, it's there, it isn't going away, trying to hack around it goes
against the grain of what the web is.  It's much smarter to simply
accept the back button, even embrace it, seaside does this.

> For instance:
> * Application must be able to rerender itself without side effects
> * Each response returns with (sequentially incremented) sequence ID
> * If web server receives stale sequence ID, it just rerenders
> the application's
>    last state and goes on. Optionally one could also display
> warning message.

Hacks that break the users expectation of what "HIS" back button should
do on the web.  People seem to forget that the application does not own
the back button, the user does.  It's no accident that people treat the
back button as undo, being able to support this natural behavior makes
Seaside more capable.