[Seaside] Re: I'm baaaack...

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Thu Jun 16 00:19:59 CEST 2005

Julian,

don't be sorry, I knew exactly who you are actually, I was merely
pulling your leg. ;-)

Seaside is indeed to other web frameworks what Smalltalk is to other
programming languages, I'm so glad I came across it.

But I think a lot of the work you guys have done will be in vain unless
someone will provide adequate document it.

I myself am neither exceptionally dim nor exceptionally bright, but I
experience quite some difficulties understanding Seaside fully.

I suppose most people that first touch base with Seaside have written
Web Applications before, maybe in Perl, or, like myself, in PHP.

This makes some things actually more difficult, as I have to "unlearn" a
few things first.
Especially having to unlearn the "Page Life Cycle" as things are
continuously persistent in Smalltalk and thus in Seaside Apps. And that
in particular implies a huge difference on how to handle "Domain
Objects" and how to materialize them.

In a funny way, before I could write my PHP based applications like
single user applications, especially regarding the handling of business
objects (materialization and such).

I certainly have to rethink that with Seaside.

Günther