[Seaside] Re: Application/Session Objects

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Wed Feb 22 22:22:16 UTC 2006

On 22 févr. 06, at 18:46, Richard Huxton wrote:

> Seaside looks very interesting, and I like the interactive
> debugging, closures continuations etc. Hate the Smalltalk syntax,

I do not want to open a can of worms or a language war but help you.
Here are a bunch of tricks I used to explain the syntax

Just a trick you put [ ] around expressions when you do not know in
advance the number of times it will be executed.
	(jj isNil)
		ifTrue: [ ]

	4 timesRepeat: [ ]

	#(1 2 3) do: [:each | ...] separatedBy: [ ]

Then you only put parenthese to distinguish between messages having
the same priority:

	kkk isNil
		ifTrue: []

	(kkk includes: #a)
		ifTrue: []

In fact I kind of really like the syntax.
	aDict at: #stef put: #fun

> the way underscore has been stolen and I'm worried about deployment/
> management and performance issues. It's early days though, so this
> is still very much first impressions for me.

In Squeak 3.9 the _ is given back to you :).
For deployment and management, the gurus around me (lukas and adrian)
are really enjoying the online, on the fly
update of code while the system is running....

Now do not hesitate to give feedback and code to the community, we
will pay attention that it is not lost

Stef