[Seaside] Seaside and high-volume websites

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Wed Jun 7 18:42:53 UTC 2006

I just wanted to provide a report to everyone on our experiences.  We
have experienced very high volume this week, and Seaside has handled
things just fine.

First of all, many of you might remember about a year ago I questioned
Seaside's ability to handle high volume.  At that time, we had an image
growth problem that killed the image after a few days.  I think it was
due to a DOS attack at that time that we have not experienced since.

Anyway, we created a new doll, Avery, which you can see in the middle of
our home page:

   http://www.bountifulbaby.com

A couple of weeks before we received our shipment of these dolls, we
gave a prototype to a lady by the name of Carol Canale.  We also gave
Carol one of our manufactured bodies-- ones that we manufactured here at
Bountiful Baby specifically for the Avery doll.

Carol is probably the best reborn artist in the world.  She "reborn'd"
the vinyl, and turned it into a *very* realistic baby doll.  It sold on
eBay for $5600.  Here is the link:

   *http://tinyurl.com/z7l8o*

This auction was the highest selling reborn baby doll in eBay's
history.  It was also the #1 watched auction in all of the "Dolls &
Bears" supercategory on eBay most of the time the auction was on.  It
generated a huge amount of interest in our Avery's, and our
"pre-notification" list grew to an incredible number of interested
folks, all of whom wanted to be notified when our shipment of Avery's
came in.

So, when our first shipment of Avery's came in, I was very worried about
Seaside's ability to handle the volume.

Well, our first shipment of Avery's came in on Monday.  We made most of
them available to our customers on Monday.  They sold out within about
an hour.  Then Tuesday we made another 160 available (our last ones from
this shipment).  They sold out in 53 minutes.

And Seaside handled things just fine, without even a hickup (we are
still running Seaside 2.3).

I just thought a lot of you might like to know.

Nevin