[Seaside] Re: Seaside on ST/X ?

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Fri Mar 31 14:13:57 UTC 2006

Petr wrote:
> Does one have to alter VM to
> have it? I do not see any primitive calls in the Squak VM. (I am a noob).

Continuations are a meta-level construct. If the VM exposes enough of
the stack (or equivalent control facility) reflectively at the
object-level, then you can implement continuations (and other control
structures) by using reflection, without modifying the VM. On the other
hand, if the required access to the control constructs of the VM is not
available at the object-level, then you need to modify the VM.

Squeak's continuation implementation uses the full reflective (both
reading and writing, that is) access to the stack frames of the current
process that Smalltalk exposes.

Tony
--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net