[Seaside] Will Continuations continue?

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Fri May 19 15:29:10 UTC 2006

On May 19, 2006, at 5:05 PM, Darius Clarke wrote:

> Gilad Bracha's Sun Weblog
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/gbracha?
> entry=will_continuations_continue
>
> He answers why he thinks JVM shouldn't support continuations.
>
> He mentions Seaside favorably as the best implementation he's seen
> too. :-)
>
> He tries to clearly state the argument for continuations, and then
> makes the point that they are a temporary solution on the way to
> downloadable Ajax Java script apps which maintain state & windows
> locally. (Though I'd consider Croquet better for this. ;-) )

As a data point, it's certainly interesting to note that Dabble DB
makes very little use of call/answer - the only major uses are when
importing and when processing payments.  We were intentionally going
for a very modeless UI style, so this shouldn't be too surprising.
The question is whether this kind of modeless web app will become
more common... it seems like it probably will.  If so, then yes, the
continuation aspects of Seaside will become less interesting, and the
callback aspects will become more interesting...

Avi