[Seaside] Pier backup

Rick Flower rickf at ca-flower.com
Thu May 25 16:33:05 UTC 2006

Dmitry Dorofeev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The only thing which stops me to run personal wiki on Pier is the
> chances that I
> can have my image corrupted. Is there any way to make a backup of Pier
> content
> and full restore ? If I can run it daily would be nice.
Just to clarify.. I'm wondering if you're talking about some sort of
automated setup where
the image is flushed out (I don't know how pier stores its data -- I'm
assume it's stored in
the image directly) and then saved on a regular basis (perhaps nightly)
with a time/date
tag appended to the name to allow easy retrieval of earlier versions of
the image (e.g. non
corrupted)..

I was wondering this as well, and I'd be tempted to call this a form of
checkpointing
of the image and I would think that there must be an easy way to do this
in Smalltalk
since this issue doesn't quite apply to most other non-image based
languages.. This
also isn't specific to Pier as it can easily happen if I've got a
Seaside app that writes to
a database that lives within the image -- I'd certainly want to
checkpoint that database image
on a regular basis to ensure I lose nothing if the image is corrupted
somehow..  Anyway,
I guess you could setup things somehow (triggered off a timer?) to write
out your image
(I'm assuming there's a way to programmatically force an image save, but
I've got no
idea there) on a regular basis and to specify the image name to save
under..

Anyway, not sure if that is what the OP was looking for..