[Seaside] Amazon EC2

Jason Johnson jbjohns at libsource.com
Thu Sep 7 12:41:05 UTC 2006

Chris Double wrote:
> On 9/7/06, Jason Johnson <jbjohns at libsource.com> wrote:
>> My only nit-pick would be that you're being a bit optimistic about the
>> DNS.  Afaik most or all of the ISP's hard code the TTL's to at least 48
>> hours, so whatever you set isn't going to even be looked at.
>
> How do the various dynamic name services work if that's the case?
> These are the services that give you a domain name and you run a
> client program on your machine that notifies their servers that your
> ip has changed. That seems to happen pretty much instantly.
>
> I've just got on the EC2 beta - it's a very interesting service and
> it'll be interesting to see what can be made of it.
>
> Chris.
Well, to be honest I'm not sure.  But the last time I had to change
where my DNS names point
to it was 48 hours before I could get to my site by name.  My company
always just kept serving the old names until our
statistics showed that no one was still using the old name.  I will look
into it when I get time, I have wondered what they were
doing for a while now. :)