[Seaside] Albatross not working on linux

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Fri Aug 3 11:46:22 UTC 2007

I'm trying to use albatross for my web app. But I have
some problems. First there are two Mac specific classes
to open a browser:

I guess these are for system 9 and 10. However the latter
is detected under linux. It just checks for platformName,
availability of the C library and the existence of an
executable called open. All this is true for a linux
system. At least all debian based. But the open binary
is in a package console-tools which I know from nearly
every other linux as well. This could be different for
BSD like system. I'll check this.

As I am not familiar with ffi calls in particular I did
an ugly hack around it. I added

   ^ super suitsPlatform and: [
      (self new system: 'uname -a | grep ''^Darwin''') = 0

With this the I get ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla. This uses
gnome-moz-remote binary to open a page. This is already a
dependency to gnome (as the name indicates). I think it is
better to use gnome-open which will open any browser the user
has configured in his settings. Do you think there are any
javascript issues which need to use mozilla? The change would

   ^' "{1}"'

If you like to support more different settings let me know
I can jump in.

Having this I get the test page opened in firefox. But I
get an error from albatross. I tested pier versions from
universe (public and beta) and the latest albatross from

With pier beta I get

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #contents