[Seaside] Albatross not working on linux

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Fri Aug 3 11:46:22 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to use albatross for my web app. But I have
some problems. First there are two Mac specific classes
to open a browser:

ExternalWebBrowserMacOS
and
ExternalWebBrowserUnixMacOSX

I guess these are for system 9 and 10. However the latter
is detected under linux. It just checks for platformName,
availability of the C library and the existence of an
executable called open. All this is true for a linux
system. At least all debian based. But the open binary
is in a package console-tools which I know from nearly
every other linux as well. This could be different for
BSD like system. I'll check this.

As I am not familiar with ffi calls in particular I did
an ugly hack around it. I added

ExternalWebBrowserUnixMacOSX>>suitsPlatform
   ^ super suitsPlatform and: [
      (self new system: 'uname -a | grep ''^Darwin''') = 0
   ]

With this the I get ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla. This uses
gnome-moz-remote binary to open a page. This is already a
dependency to gnome (as the name indicates). I think it is
better to use gnome-open which will open any browser the user
has configured in his settings. Do you think there are any
javascript issues which need to use mozilla? The change would
be

ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla>>helperCommand
   ^' "{1}"'

ExternalWebBrowserUnixMozilla>>helperProgram
   ^'gnome-open'

If you like to support more different settings let me know
I can jump in.

Having this I get the test page opened in firefox. But I
get an error from albatross. I tested pier versions from
universe (public and beta) and the latest albatross from
squeaksource.

With pier beta I get

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #contents
AComponentWrapper(WAComponent)>>decoration

Norbert