[Seaside] Gemstone / Magritte

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:49:02 UTC 2007

> It should be fixed in Gemstone as well as
> Magritte, though I've long since worked my way around the latter because I
> don't see it happening.

Did you ever think that a selector name choice might turn into a
nightmare 4 years later? Magritte did not start as a framework, but
evolved from a couple of helper classes in SmallWiki. It is clear that
any selector name potentially leads to conflicts. I agree that
#descriptor would have been a slightly better, but the fact that I
know a couple of packages that implement #descriptor is not really
motivating me to make that change.

> A good reason to fix it is simply that it continually comes up as an issue
> for any English speaking user, #description is far to common and far to
> general a selector for domain objects to ever put it on as a meta selector
> on object.

I doubt that this has anything to do with the language the users are
speaking. Most people write their application in english anyway.