[Seaside] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Version 07.08.1

Conrad Taylor conradwt at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 00:18:58 UTC 2007

On 8/11/07, Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/8/11, Conrad Taylor <conradwt at gmail.com>:
> > Hi Damien, I enjoyed working with the default browser (i.e.
> open...->Image
> > Browser ) until I started using the dev image.  Now, Refactoring Browser
> > (RB) is the one that I prefer to use.
>

> Why do you prefer working with RB? All refactorings are in the OmniBrowser
> now.

It appears to faster than the OmniBrowser.  I see a noticeable lag from
initiating an action to seeing the results of that action.  Next, it has
better clarity in regards to the menu selections.  For example,

RB:  "Create accessors for instance varibales"

OB:  "accessors for instvar"

The RB provides an easier to understand menu in this regard.  On the other
hand, it's not clear what it does until you play with it.  For example, when
I see "accessors for instvar", I'm thinking that it would simply return a
list of the accessors for the selected instance variable.  Should creating
and accessing mean the same thing in this context?  In short, please spell
out the menu item entries instead of using these abbreviations and be clear
as to what it does with its name.

> > Why are they're so many browsers?  It
>

> This is because the base image already includes different browsers.
>

> > would be GREAT if there was just one really good one on Squeak that was
> also
> > intuitive and this seems to be the case with a clean image.
>
> The base image does not have the refactorings, the SUnit features, the
> Trait features... Moreover, it's hardly enhanceable. That's why
> OmniBrowser has been created.

Damien, I'll work with the OB but I'll be refactoring the names of the menu
items especially the one:

"undo a CreateAccessorsForVariableRefacoring"