[Seaside] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] Version 07.08.1

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 08:25:47 UTC 2007

> It appears to faster than the OmniBrowser.  I see a noticeable lag from
> initiating an action to seeing the results of that action.  Next, it has
> better clarity in regards to the menu selections.  For example,
>
> RB:  "Create accessors for instance varibales"
>
> OB:  "accessors for instvar"
>
> The RB provides an easier to understand menu in this regard.  On the other
> hand, it's not clear what it does until you play with it.  For example, when
> I see "accessors for instvar", I'm thinking that it would simply return a
> list of the accessors for the selected instance variable.  Should creating
> and accessing mean the same thing in this context?  In short, please spell
> out the menu item entries instead of using these abbreviations and be clear
> as to what it does with its name.

This is me that created this package. I like to have the menus as
short as possible, preferably just one word. And since listing the
accessors for a selected instance variable is no refactoring, I argue
that it is quite clear what it is supposed to do.

Now what I agree is that this huge flat list of menu items in OB is
not really user-friendly. It would be better to have refactorings
grouped into sub-menus so that it becomes more clear what they do. For
example:

      instance variable refactorings -> create accessors

Unfortunately OB doen't support sub-menus without hacks yet.

> > > Why are they're so many browsers?  It
> >

> > This is because the base image already includes different browsers.

No, this is because everybody prefers a different browser. I think OB
would be the best match for everybody (and to go into the base-image),
because it can be easily tweaked to your exact needs. Except for the
StarBrowser, I don't know of any other browsers that is that adaptive.

> Damien, I'll work with the OB but I'll be refactoring the names of the menu
> items especially the one:
>
> "undo a
> CreateAccessorsForVariableRefacoring"

That's the refactoring engine, that does not provide a label for menu
items. The old RB browser does not even provide the possibility to
undo/redo a refactoring, something I consider to be very important.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch