[Seaside] Un-calling components

Patrick Collison patrick at collison.ie
Wed Aug 22 08:37:19 UTC 2007

On 22/08/07, Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com> wrote:
> Well, it depends on if your sidebar has direct access to the main component
> or not.
>
> If not, say they're both siblings of a parent, I'd use an Announcement and
> rig up the an announcer in the session and have the root component register
> for the announcement.
>
> Keeps everything nicely decoupled and lets you cause any action in any
> component from anywhere in the system.

Thanks for the examples. We considered doing something along the lines
of your first suggestion, but it becomes awkward when every callback
defined in the sidebar needs to explicitly clean up the main
component, whereas the decoration ensures it'll happen automatically.
It never occurred to me to use announcements, but I don't think they
solve this issue.

When modified to use #home, though, I guess the decoration is actually
pretty reasonable.