[Seaside] Re: Protogrowl

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Thu Dec 13 17:19:49 UTC 2007

>> Thanks for the pointer.
>>
>> Could anyone clear up some confusion on my part - I am trying to figure
>> out how one finds things.  I used SqueakMap Package Loader and looked
>> around but could not find anything about protoGrowl.

SqueakMap is a good guess but, as you've seen, some packages aren't
available there (or the version on SqueakMap is old and you might want a
newer one).  Package universes are another source but I seldom use
them.  The next source to open a web browser on www.squeaksource.com,
click on the "Projects" link and enter a search term.  If I do this with
the term "protogrowl" then squeaksource lists the SeaChart package.  If
I click on that package I see a very long web page where, down at the
bottom is a section with the heading "Registration" and the text:

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/seachart'
    user: ''
    password: ''

(I'll refer to this text as the "repository spec") Copy that text to
your clipboard, go to the Monticello Browser in Squeak and click
"+Repository", select HTTP from the menu and paste the repository spec
into the dialog and click accept.  The SeaChart repository is now
available in the monticello browser.  Select it in the right-hand pane
(if it isn't already selected) and click the "Open" button.  Now you're
browsing the SqueakSource repository for SeaChart...there may be many
packages there.  One of them will be ProtoGrowl.  Keep in mind that most
developers use SqueakSource for unstable releases so you might want to
read the package comment before you load it.  Once you've found a
version you like, click "Load". ;-)

HTH,

David