[Seaside] Seaside Mysql Question

Chris Cunnington cunnington at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 21 20:37:01 UTC 2007

Hi David,

I'm going to throw out a bunch of observations here, and if anyone wants to
have a different opinion, I'm happy to hear it.

The quick answer to your question is no. There is no package that combines
the two. There is no example I know of where the two are used. They may be
out there, lurking, but I haven't seen one. Although, if you've made it
work, I'd very much like to see it. And I don't think I'm alone in that.

There is not a lot of love in the Squeak world for MySQL. That's not my
opinion. It's an observation. The database of preference seems to be
PostgreSQL. In my experience the MySQL driver for Squeak does not work. I
imagine that will get somebody to contest that statement, but that's my
experience with it.

What is more objectively true is that the community support for the
PostgreSQL driver written by Yanni Chiu is much greater. And if you don't
want to feed the SQL statements into the image directly there is the Glorp
layer that works between the two.

I don't think people use MySQL much around here. I don't think there's any
real reason for that. It just seems to be the bias of this community.
GemStone is coming out with a free, commercial OO database that can be
connected to Seaside in the near future.

None of these answers are very satisfying to you, I imagine, as you are
working with an existing database, and not starting from scratch. I have
heard that the Glorp-maker, Alan Knight, is thinking of adding MySQL to the
package, which at the moment just works on PostgreSQL.

I restate that if you have made Seaside and MySQL work together at all, I
would like to see how you did it. But I don't think there's much around here
for you to compare it with. Perhaps your post will draw out a lurker with a
solution.

Chris