[Seaside] Stupid question about session expiration handling..

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Sat Feb 10 18:27:32 UTC 2007

> Same here, we didn't do anything like this, normal expiry
> seems to work just fine and our db sessions are pooled so
> there's little pressure to rid of sessions as soon as they
> expire. And if there's a lot of activity, the current
> mechanism will kick in anyway, cleaning up when no one is on
> will make little difference as I see it at the moment.
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris
> (Sent from a BlackBerry)
>

> Just as a side remark: Even tough this sounds interesting, I
> don't know of any productive application that does this.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

OK, well maybe others aren't doing it.  I know someone is, because running a
background reaper wasn't my idea, I took it from someone on this list.  What
it does do, is avoid stalling that person who happens to be the 10th
connection and kicks off a session expiration.  If you look back in the
history of this list a bit, you'll find a few complaints about that.

I run a background service that does this every 30 seconds ...

(WADispatcher default entryPoints
    select: [:app | app respondsTo: #unregisterExpiredHandlers])
    do: [:app | app unregisterExpiredHandlers]

Sessions can take up a lot of memory, depending on what you do, and when
running a public web site, I want to ensure memory is released as soon as
possible.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com