[Seaside] Re: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Tue Jan 30 03:07:09 UTC 2007

Giles Bowkett wrote:
> Anyway -- I think the "vs" attitude isn't the way to go, I definitely
> like having both frameworks in my bag of tricks.

Sure, all frameworks have their plus and minus points.
Since you've got lots more Rails knowledge, I was keen
to know whether there was a major technical advantage
that Rails had, that could be added to Seaside - which,
only a few people could do. But it seems that what you
see lacking can be solved by more casual contributors.

I think that with enough people using Seaside, some
of the current dificiencies will eventually be addressed.
I'd like to see it all pan out like so:

1. Lots of people adopt a Seaside solution.
2. A few are gifted marketers, who spread the word.
3. Some are gifted writers, who add to the growing
    pool of documentation, tutorials, etc.
4. Some are natural editors, who gather the available
    documentation, and make it more accessible.
5. Some are tinkerers, who fix up the out-of-box experience.
6. Some are builders, who add to the list of ready made
    solutions. (E.g. portable RDB access would be nice to have.)
7. A few will learn and improve upon the internals of Seaside,
    or create significant new frameworks.

IMHO, Seaside is doing well with (7), pretty good with (6),
and gathering steam with (3) and (2).