[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share and Seasidedoesn't

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Wed Jul 18 01:19:18 UTC 2007

> I think this is true. I'm pretty sure ease of adoption is a
> priority for Rails core. But I don't think this is
> necessarily such a problem.
> Rails apps, because of the incredibly gentle learning curve,
> are kind of a magnet for bad code. The goal isn't to take
> over the world or whatever. Just because lots of people are
> into Rails doesn't necessarily mean your Rails experience
> will be a good one.
>
> --
> Giles Bowkett

Nor to we really want to attract total beginners to Seaside, you have to at
least have a decent understanding of object oriented programming and
Smalltalk to make a decent go at Seaside, and that rules out a lot of
programmers.

Let the total beginners cut their teeth on Rails, and learn a little OO in a
more traditional framework that doesn't tell them everything they know is
wrong.  Seaside is more attractive for those who've figured out something is
wrong with traditional web development and are looking for something better.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com