[Seaside] page caching

Jason Johnson jbjohns at libsource.com
Thu Jul 19 15:40:11 UTC 2007

Jason Johnson wrote:
> IMO, page caching is more relevant when you are doing static
> translations from one format to another.  For example, if you have a
> site that stores everything in some XML format, and you want to use
> XSLT or something to translate it to HTML.  That would be a great
> candidate for caching since the translation is expensive and returns
> the same results every time for a given source document.
>
> But most Seaside apps are views of real/live objects.  So to cache
> that would amount to creating a string of all the objects instance
> variable values for your hash key (e.g. an MD5 string).  Something
> like that could done automatically with a clever enough frame work,
> but the question is: would it be worth it to create such machinery?
> Has anyone actually hit a render bottleneck yet?  Last I heard the
> encoding and socket writing was taking up all the time.

Oh, that MD5 thing might not have been clear:  What I mean is, to do
caching you need to make a big string of all instance variable values
recursively.  That is:

SomeObject {
  firstName := 'Fred'
  lastName := 'Jones'
  phoneNumbers := #(1112223333 2223334444) asOrderedCollection }

would have to have a key of:
'SomeObject-Fred-Jones-1112223333-2223334444'  and perhaps MD5 encoded.

The other thing I forgot to point out is that probably the slowest thing
to send right now is the pictures in the sites, but those get cached on
the client side already (so long as they aren't getting a session tag as
well).