[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share andSeasidedoesn't

Cédrick Béler cbeler at enit.fr
Fri Jul 20 10:08:55 UTC 2007

> I disagree that you wouldn't want to do Smalltalk if you don't know
> OO. Smalltalk is a great first OO language (taught lots on the job).
> If anything, Smalltalk is distasteful to others who've used other
> languages and maybe never really got objects (seen it over and over
> teaching OO to people who've learned it on their own).
I'm (was ;) ) a beginner/newcommer/journeyer... Before using smalltalk,
I had only basic notions of some languages as html/http... Smalltalk is
great to learn object and OO... I've learned a lot since but mastering
is another problem...You quickly realize that object modelization is not
simple even if often said to be a natural, simple way of thinking...
"Write once and only once" has a implicit wrong meaning of simplicity...
It's more a question of beauty, easy maintenance but not coding easiness...

> If you like PHP or Rails or servlets, that's cool too. It's just
> different.
Sometimes, I do some php, it's fun because rewarding even if the final
code smells... you can quickly copy/paste/adapt hundreds of lines ;) ...
Problem of smalltalk is that adding an extra functionnalities, or
wrinting a fix is often one of two lines of code and that's not
encouraging/rewarding for newcomers especially if you spend 2 hours
"writing" it...

Finding the reward is hard in smalltalk, but I think I've reach the
point I've too much *fun* doing some smalltalk...I'm not being objective
anymore ;).

What's fun in other languages are the results you get, and in smalltalk
it's the environment and the result... but first you need to understand
and be at ease with the environment.

Cédrick