[Seaside] [VW] 2.8a1 preview

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 10:07:54 UTC 2007

> Now, what's the great plan for 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8? It seems that things
> evolve much faster than people catching up to them and I wonder how
> practical that actually is. Having used 2.6 for majority of the project
> and only recently switching to 2.7 I was able to provide feedback that
> might have been useful. Now that main stream is way ahead in 2.8, I
> can't help but feel that speed of progress in this case works against
> it. No?

Not in my opinion. Feel free to stick with 2.7. I am running a couple
of legacy applications that work great with Seaside 2.2. Other
open-source projects have much tighter release cycles, Mozilla has a
major release every couple of months.

Seaside development happens mostly (if not all) as unpaid work of
volunteers. There are other forces that drive Seaside: the need for
new features, the need for speed improvements, the need for simpler
and cleaner code, personal interests in particular problems, etc.

The great plans were/are:

2.6: ?
2.7: Deprecation.
2.8: Lower memory requirements, improve speed, improve extensibility, cleanup.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch