[Seaside] Web controls for Seaside

Burella Juan M. juan.burella at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 19:46:35 UTC 2007

Hello Lukas.

> In order to ease the work with our web application  we have added
> component
> > support for Seaside. It's what is called "AJAX Framework" out there,
> > although we preferred not to call it "framework" nor toolkit by now.
> Much of
> > the ideas of this package are based on WindowBuilder Pro, a commercial
> > window builder that enables visual programming.
>
> That sounds very exciting. Is the JavaScript part specific to Seaside
> or did you reuse an existing libraries?

Javascript is specific to Seaside, we are trying to provide a common
interface for event handling and to mix well with Scriptaculous but we are
evaluating alternatives.

> Right now we have support for most common web controls (TextField, Panel,
> > RadioButton, TextArea, Label, Button, Anchor, CheckBoxGroup,
> > RadioButtonGroup, ListBox, FieldSet) and we are working on a builder
> tool
> > for generate Seaside components (pages) dinamically. We call it
> > SeasideBuilder.
>
> Will SeasideBuilder also allow to visually connect controls with each
> other and the model, like this is done for example in Cocoa? How does
> it update the control (polling, server push)?

No. If you are thinking in Visual Language Systems with icons like LabVIEW,
ProGraph or even PARTS, that's not what we had in mind at first. Right now
it would fall into a web interface for a textual language.
If I understood right your question, the builder uses a proxy over the
control, that's updated after you finished with the properties.

> With the builder you'll have to pick the control you want, configure
> > properties, preview if you want it, and finally add to a page layout
> tree.
> > When the tree is already configured properly, code for the rendering and
>
> > controls is compiled into the class, along with tree support for future
> > editing with the tool, although this is under heavy developement.
>
> Drag & Drop? Will you be able to edit a control again, after it has been
> added?

That's the idea.

> Maybe this work could be interesting for someone out there. If so,  we'd
> > have to ask our institution for permission to release a public version
> under
> > an appropiate licensing (GPL, LGPL, BSD, etc).
>
> That would be great! Please consider that Seaside and most (if not
> all) Seaside related frameworks are released under the MIT license.
>
> Looking forward testing your "framework".
>
> Lukas

Juan  M.