[Seaside] HIGH CPU - not frozen, but s...l....o....w seaside image

Florian Minjat florian.minjat at emn.fr
Mon Mar 19 12:29:39 UTC 2007

I have almost the same problem...

I am running Squeak3.9 with Seaside2.7a1-mb.205. I use squeak as a
transparent persistant object database and save the image every
12hours. Everything works fine.

BUT after some days, sometimes two days, sometimes one week, the image
finish to hang strangely : everything works fine in the seaside app,
you can use the application normally perhaps a little slower than
usual, but it could be my network. But any attempt to save the image,
or update the code via monticello, or use a SmartRefStream to save a
part of the image using a Seaside app just makes my browser load until
timeout (with WAVersionUploader for example). If I check the process
using top, I just see Squeak at 99.9% CPU. If I use the WAScreenshot
app to look at the UI, there is no debugger, no error, nothing out of
the ordinary...

This is very bad because when it ends like this, I have no choice to
kill squeak and loose all the data since the last save of the image.
And when I restart with the last save, everything is ok ant squeak is
quick and very responsive. Until the next times it hangs...

Every 12 hours I 'clean' the image before saving it with this code :
	WARegistry clearAllHandlers.
	MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
	Smalltalk garbageCollect.

I run this code and the save of the image inside an on:do: Error block
with log of the stack in case of an Error, but I get nothing.

I don't know what to add to be sure the image will stay healthy.
Should I save then kill  and restart the image each night ?

How can I track or inspect or debug the image in such a state to find
out what is happening?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion, I am a little lost with no clue
there.

Florian