[Seaside] Seaside and REST

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Mar 29 06:44:15 UTC 2007

Hi Folks -

I've been toying around with Seaside and there are quite a few things
that I don't understand. Since I've been spamming the Squeak list
already with some of these questions I figure it's probably about time
to move the discussion to this list. Here we go:

* RESTful URLs: Philippe pointed me to http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/
  which discusses the use of RESTful URLs in Pier. Looking at it I found
the dazzlingly cryptic method PRPierFrame>>initialRequest: and gave up
on the idea for the time being ;-)

Could someone perhaps give a brief outline of what needs to be done to
support RESTful URLs in Seaside that both, goes well beyond "it can be
done" and stays well short of PRPierFrame's implementation? ;-)

* GET vs. POST: One of the things that confused me about the simple
counter example already is that it uses POST instead of GET - isn't GET
supposed to be idempotent as well as not modifying the requested resource?

Can someone explain to me why Seaside uses GET for such requests and not
POST? What rules does Seaside have for using GET vs. POST? What happens
if a robot ever comes across the counter example?

Thanks,
   - Andreas