[Seaside] CSS Files vs. #style

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Sun May 6 01:14:08 UTC 2007

I've read previous posts (by Avi as well as others) saying that they
typically didn't implement the method #style on a component, but instead
typically used #updateRoot: and #resourceUrl: to invoke external CSS
files.  For example, Philippe Marschall wrote the following example of
use (on 7/27/06):

   MyRootComponent >> #updateRoot: anHtmlRoot
       super updateRoot: anHtmlRoot.
       anHtmlRoot linkToStyle: 'wherever/style.css'.
       anHtmlRoot linkToScript: 'wherever/script.js'.

And, of course, this works fine, and presumably allows your web
designers to easily change the CSS layout.

But then, so did the #style method.  And, it also is easy for your web
designers to change the CSS layout-- by toggling the halos and entering
the CSS code in the browser (via the style editor, which is the little
pencil icon when you turn halos on).  And, when they do it this way, it
compiles the CSS code into the #style method of the component, thus
allowing you to carry the styles around with your image.  And that
reduces dependencies, because it keeps everything in the image, instead
of splitting it out into external files.

So, why are folks avoiding the #style method?  What am I missing?

Nevin