[Seaside] Re: YUI

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 11:04:26 UTC 2007

> From reading the blog entries on prototype, it looks
> like the problem is that it exposes badly written
> code. Composable javascript should work within those
> prototype walls.

It is indisputable that Prototypes extends the global namespace and
existing objects in ways that might conflict with other libraries. I
personally find it very well written, though.

Prototype takes many ideas from Smalltalk (actually Ruby, but 'taking
an idea' is transitive). If that was not the case, having the
possibility to write something like the following expression in
Smalltalk

    ((SUSelector new matching: 'div.hint')
        select: [ :each | each element visible not ])
        do: [ :each | each effect appear ]

and automatically transform it to JavaScript

    $$('div.hint').findAll(function(){return
!$(arguments[0]).visible()}).each(function(){new
Effect.Appear(arguments[0])})

would be much harder.

Ideally we had a library that was designed for Seaside and Smalltalk.
In practice resources are missing to do that. The amount of mails
discussion about what could be done represents in no way what is
actually done. Prototype is a reasonable match in that sense.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli