[Seaside] Long submit problems with IE

Marco Qualizza mlq at codedaemon.com
Sat Nov 10 18:39:17 UTC 2007

Hello,

   I'll try to make the difference between the two as clear as mud.

First, GET.  GET is really easy.  What it means is that all of the
submitted information is in the URL.  http://mysite/mypage?x=1&y=2 is
a simple GET submission that sends x = 1 and y = 2 to the server.
There is a limit on how long URLs can be.

POST is a little more complex, and I think that I'll need to delve a
bit into the depths of HTTP to explain it.  When you make an HTTP
request -- say that GET request above -- what happens is that your
browser connects to the server, sends it some information (the page
you're looking for, some browser info, where you came from, etc), and
then reads the response from the server (this response is the contents
of the HTML page that the browser is going to show).  A POST request
does the same as a GET, but allows the browser to add more information
(think of it as a section marked "this is where the data that you want
to submit").  It's a different section then what the GET uses -- the
GET includes the data in the section that indicates the page you are
looking for.  POST requests are allowed to be essentially unlimited.
(Unlimited for practical purposes... but then again, try uploading a
really huge file... uploading a file with a browser is a POST rquest).

HTH,
   - m