[Seaside] Squeak + Seaside questions

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 15:55:05 UTC 2007

> thank you for your answers, fortunately it seems seaside might be an
> alternative after all for this project. I did like you state on your
> reply about setting up apache 1.3.37 to work with seaside and it's
> working a lot better now, i still have some problems with the
> FileLibrary things, but i guess i'll find some way to get around that
> since there are some other posts on the mailing list about  that. What i
> could use is some pointer about if it's possible to have seaside answer
> only on localhost requests and not having the port open to the outside,
> and let it be acessible only through apache.

Check out the mailing-list archive. Numerous people (including myself)
have posted working configurations. The only difference between Apache
1 and 2 is that Apache 1 does not support the PreserveProxyHost
directive, so you just skip it in your configuration and set
server-name and port
in the Seaside configuration, so that Seaside can properly generate
absolute URLs.

Lukas

> Thanks everyone for the replies and help,
>
> Alex
>

> Em 10/08/07 18:23 Lukas Renggli escreveu:
> >> 1) I believe squeak + seaside only serves one request at a time, is this
> >> right?
> >
> > No, that's not true.
> >
> >> If so, how will an application that is to serve 1-10 users
> >> simultaneously behave in terms of performance?
> >
> > 10 users should be easily handled by a single image.
> >
> >> 2) Is it possible to have the application seamlessly deployed together
> >> with Apache 1.3.37? All the documents i've found rely on stuff that
> >> apparently are only available on Apache 2.x. (If someone could provide
> >> some tips i'd be thankful)
> >
> > It is easier with Apache 2, but it works with any other web server as
> > well. What you have to do in this case is to set server-name and port
> > in the Seaside configuration, so that Seaside can properly generate
> > absolute URLs.
> >
> >> 3) How is squeak + seaside in terms of scalability, is it possible to
> >> add multiple applications running on the same VM and have them not
> >> colliding with each other? (Continuations still make my head dizzy,
> >> that's why i ask this)
> >
> > Yes, that's no problem.
> >
> > Depending on the amount of concurrent users you might want to add more
> > VMs and do some load-balancing. This should not be necessary for 10
> > users though.
> >
> > Lukas

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch