[Seaside] Seaside 2.8 under load (There is no free space in thisset!)

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Thu Oct 11 19:46:12 UTC 2007

> > I just ported my app to Seaside 2.8 and under production load I'm
> > suddenly getting a whole bunch of "There is no free space
> in this set!" errors.
>
> This is supposed to be fixed in 2.8 (finally, it was broken
> for years).
>
> Does the WABacktrackingTest pass?

Tests pass fine.

> > I say a previous thread mention this
> >
> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/pipermail/smallwiki/2007-March/002656.
> html but
> > it was related to backtracking state, which I'm not currently using.
>
> Do you accidently have a method called #states or #updateStates:
> overridden in one of your components?

Nope.

> Seaside seems to try to backtrack a dictionary containing some XML:
>
>     <ArnRequest>
>     <Availability DisplayCurrency="USD" SearchTimeout="30"> <HotelA...
>
> Lukas

I seem to have fixed it, I found an old thread where someone mentioned
#hash, so I looked and I was using a custom biz object as a key into a
dictionary.  I think I was a bit careless with overriding #= and #hash and
had maybe done something wrong.  I changed the key to a string instead of a
custom object and the error seems to have gone away.  Haven't had an error
in the last hour and a half since pushing this out.

I did actually have this error in 2.7 as well but it was so rare I'd never
bothered with it.  Not sure why 2.8 made it happen at a much higher
frequency, but I don't think it was a Seaside problem now.

Ramon Leon