[Seaside] MinimalMorphic based web images

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Fri Oct 19 16:35:00 UTC 2007

Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2007, at 07:02 , Philippe Marschall wrote:

[snip]
>>> Hello Philippe,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I wasn't very clear, my apologies.
>>>
>>> The image seems to be doing some kind of polling which is using CPU even
>>> when the image should seem to be using none as it is doing nothing.
>>
>> Could be anything. At lest the gc will have to do same work from time
>> to time. But it is also very likely the UI is not completely idle as
>> well. That's my Seaside Hosting suspends the whole process to make
>> everything is really idle and nothing happens.
>
> Very likely it's the UI loop (GC activity depends on number of
> instantiated objects, not on time elapsed). You can suspend/resume the
> UI process, for example with the Seaside snapshot application, if you
> want to spare some cycles (which can be significant as soon as you have
> many images).
>
> Oh, and make sure that the preference named betterPerformance is turned
> _off_.

Hello Adrian,

Thanks for the reply. From my playing around with suspending the UI it
does seem to be the UI loop causing the regular (once a second or so)
2-5% spike in CPU. Suspending UI makes the Squeak process flat until
serving something.

As I am hoping to get Squeak/Seaside hosting on my web host provider,
this is a very important issue.

I am glad you made me aware of that setting. Is that the setting where
Squeak decides to be more aggressive on its CPU use? I am sure a hosting
provider would definitely want that turned off.

Thanks.

Jimmie