[Seaside] Re: Component granularity & numbers

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Mon Jan 7 04:19:31 UTC 2008

itsme213 wrote:
> I was looking more for guidance on plain scale of # of components. If a page
> shows 5 primary domain objects in some detail, but show another 100 domain
> objects in summary, some of them multiple times (e.g. just their names),
> should I use 105+ components instances or just 5?

I don't see any reason to favour one approach over the other - unless
you're instantiating the 100 domain objects on each response, in which
case the 100 domain objects approach doesn't appear to scale well. (But
the UI interaction may only ever show 100 objects on a page, so no
problem ever arises).

Another problem that might arise is that the 100 domain objects take up
a lot of memory (for whatever reason), but you only really need the
summary description for you UI. So, in this case, a single component
which gathered only the required display data without actually
instantiating the 100 domain objects would seem to be a better approach.

--
Yanni Chiu