[Seaside] About Seaside 3.0

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Jul 13 14:21:18 UTC 2008

Philippe,

You are missing the point.  So what if port 80 is difficult to use - use
another one.  The idea is to offer a system administrator an interface
to check the status and make small changes to what is essentially an
appliance.  The fewer things that could potentially be mis-configured,
the better.

In the type of work I do, I will take simple, slow, and encrypted any
day.  I am not "building web sites" in this situation, so the rules to
which you cling do not apply.  That said, I will want your guidance for
the few machines I envision setting up that will be "web sites" in the
more typical sense.  And yes, they will be based on Apache.

"Apache will still be running when your image is long gone and can serve
a nice 503 page".  That's scary.  Where is the problem?  Is it Seaside,
or dialect-specific?  I am accustomed to my Smalltalk images running
strong when the OS is starting to crumble around them.

Bill

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 06:59:56 UTC 2008