[Seaside] About Seaside 3.0

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 20:06:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> wrote:
[snip quoted material]
> Now that I read the thread as whole I have a question. What I can read
> is people having lots of enhancements in mind they want to see in
> seaside. And there are seaside developers which are trying to keep the
> "pollution" away from seaside :) The most enhancements would fit
> quite good in a complete web application stack. So why aren't we
> creating such a web application stack (call it "lido")?

Because no-one has stepped forward to lead such a community effort :-)

> To summarize I read arguments:
> - things that are good ideas but that don't belong into seaside

I'm not sure what these would be

> - help for setup of things like apache
> - useful components
> - persistency integration

I think you you've identified some key points for easing the adoption
of Seaside, but the reason no-one's scratching that itch, is that
there really isn't that big a problem when you're in the know -
download Damien's web-dev image, set-up Apache following Ramon's
examples, load ShoreComponents or roll your own, and pick your
persistence solution - it's not that these elements aren't there, it's
that there's no step-by-step guide that puts all of this information
in the hands of developers new to Squeak and Seaside.

If one of the books that are under development is addressing these
then that will be an ideal third step to follow on from Squeak By
Example and A Walk on the Seaside. If not, then a few more
step-by-step blog posts might help.

Cheers, Michael