[Seaside] Encoding question

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 04:57:03 UTC 2008

2008/6/5, Andres Fortier <andres at lifia.info.unlp.edu.ar>:
> Hi Philippe, sorry for not responding earlier. I guess there must be some
> kind of mess in my image, since the encoding tests work ok. However, if I
> inspect the 'urlencoded' iv when submitting the form, I get a string with
> garbage. On the other hand, the streams are EncodedStreams with a utf-8
> encoder;

Wow, that is a massive change. Last time I asked you said the encoding
in your image would be utf-8, now you do utf-8 encoding. That does not
work together. I hope you don't use the patch Boris posted because I
don't see how this can work.

> however if I write a special character (say 'é') in the browser, I
> can see it ok inside the image, but it can't be rendered in the html page.
> Thus, there must be an encoding mismatch somewhere, but I'm not able to find
> it. I guess I'll be spending quite a while debugging this :(.

If the encoding in your image is utf-8 then the browser should send
0xC3 0xA9 (two bytes) and in your image you should have:

String with: (Character value: 16rC3) with: (Character value: 16rA9)

This should be sent unaltered to the browser.

If your image encoding is Unicode then browser your send 0xC3 0xA9 as
well and in your image you should have:

String with: (Character value: 16rE9)

This should be sent as 0xC3 0xA9  to the browser.

Happy debugging.

Cheers
Philippe