[Seaside] [Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

Dmitry Dorofeev dima-sender-3c337a at yasp.com
Wed Jun 25 16:22:35 UTC 2008

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Dmitry> And JavaScript files are always sent to the client, so source code is
> Dmitry> provided as required by GPL.  I think you don't need to provide your
> Dmitry> server side source just because UI JavaScript library is GPL.
>
> Dmitry> Am I wrong ?
>
> Some would argue that you are wrong.  If you are distributing GPL code as a
> substantial part of your own product, the GPL license must be applied to your
> code as well.  If it was only LGPL, you might have a better chance, unless
> you're also "deriving" from it, in which case, the derivation is subject
> to the LGPL.
>
> Welcome to the world of viral licenses.

Pretty sad world I would say. It may end up with providing source code for my server's network card driver,
as it substantial part of my own pro(duct|ject) supplied to the end user.

'Ext' was LGPL before version 2.x, but citing from their site:

We considered once again releasing under straight LGPL but it was not an option as a business. We tried that with version 1.0 and found out quickly that it enabled others (e.g. large commercial entities) to take our work, wrap it up and sell it as their own. With no mention of us at all. We, as a business with a full time team of talented developers, can not exist under those circumstances. We would quickly become diluted and competing with ourselves.

-Dmitry.