[Seaside] Seaside vs. Traditional

cdrick cdrick65 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 12:23:21 UTC 2008

2008/3/30, Philippe Marschall <philippe.marschall at gmail.com>:
> 2008/3/30, Conrad Taylor <conradwt at gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi, is there any particular reason for comparing Seaside with another
>  > framework in a Seaside mailing list?
>

> Yes, I truly believe so. To better understand for which tasks Seaside
>  isn't suite, what problems people have with Seaside and of course what
>  strengths and advantages Seaside has over other frameworks.

same... I feel seaside attracts lots of people and most of the time,
they want just want to realize "classic web content" even if dynamic
too. So Seaside is not particularly well suited. Especially since Pier
can be the way to do such tasks in seaside...Precisions on strenghts
of frameworks will really help whether seaside or whatever else.

I think Sophie and Ramon picked up the framework really quickly for
good reasons (even if apparently they had two different background
with in common a good OO understanding ; Ramon was already a web dev
and Sophie was new to web apps). Maybe they can help here. Colin
explains it well too.

My 2 cents about differences after my little investigations...
I think the main visible difference between aida and seaside is the
back button story (aiders correct me if I'm wrong) which allow
different kind of apps.

Seaside allows natively to track or not track state (variables and
objets interaction), to isolate some flow too... But this is an extra
job too.
Aida back button will bring you "back, your page will be refreshed and
you'll have a new, not old state of that object. A valid one, always"
(quoted from Janko). Also, I notice removing cookies support in your
broser enable different sessions in the same browser. But when hitting
button in aida, there seems to be no registration in the browser
history (so no back possibility) and this is not done in ajax.

Both are ok to me. We just need to know. So what I call Desktop like
app is total control on entries whereas classical web forms may not
need this complexity. Note I don't say that Aida can't do that but it
seems to me natively supported by seaside.

Cheers,

Cédrick

ps: As a side note, discussion started on both lists (aida + seaside),
but when answering I think we lost one and they it became two separate
posts on both lists. So I add this mail to aida.